Friday, July 23, 2010

Sensitivity and J-dar

J-dar is what we're calling J's uncanny ability to be listening to your conversation while looking like he's completely absorbed in something else. It's pretty freaky. For example, at a meeting with a midwife, S described how the doctor in PR did an episiotomy against our instructions:

"So she just said 'a little nick' and then she cut me."
Comes running from the corner where he was playing with a train: "Wh.. wh.. wha.. why did they cut mama?"
Oops.

We've long known that J is sensitive (like his dad). The other day I got hit in the face playing racquetball before picking J up at daycare:
"I need to go inside to get some ice for my lip, okay?"
"You got hit in the face with a racquetball racquet?"
"Yes, that's right. I got hit in the face, and I need some ice to help me feel better."
After getting ice: "Do you know what else would help me feel better? If you sat on my lap."
Sits on my lap. "Ahh. That helps me feel better."
Starts crying. "Why are you crying? Is it because you don't want to sit on my lap? You don't have to."
"No. I'm sad because daddy got hit with a racquetball racquet."

No comments: